ISU President Emeritus Gregory Geoffroy recently toured the residence hall named for him, which is located at 2152 Lincoln Way, next to ISU's Buchanan Hall. When full, Geoffroy Hall will be home to more than 780 students and 14 houses. One of those houses now honors Dr. Lois Tiffany.
Tiffany received her B.S. (1945), M.S. (1947), and Ph.D. (1950) in plant pathology all from Iowa State College (University). She joined the Botany faculty at Iowa State as an Instructor in 1950. Tiffany was promoted to Assistant Professor (1956-1958), Associate Professor (1958-1965), Professor (1965-1994), and Distinguished Professor (1994-2002). She also served as Chair (1990-1996) of the Botany Department. She retired from the department in 2002 and was named Emeritus Distinguished Professor.
Tiffany, informally known as "The Mushroom Lady," taught mycology and botany classes at both Iowa State University and the Iowa Lakeside Laboratory. Her research included studies of fungal diseases of native prairie plants in Iowa, a 10-year survey of Iowa's morels, and a study of the fungus flora of Big Bend National Park in Texas. She also participated in the Midwestern mushroom aflatoxin studies of both corn and soybeans.
The Tiffany House will be located on the first floor of Geoffroy Hall and house up to 55 women.