Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion in EEOB
Departmental Diversity Statement
The Department of Ecology, Evolution, and Organismal Biology seeks to build a diverse, equitable, and inclusive department characterized by kindness and respect. Our goal is to provide a welcoming environment where any person can thrive while expressing their unique identity, knowing that diverse perspectives are valued. Creating this space is an active process that requires continuous learning, reflection, and revision. As a department, we are committed to making this vision a reality by:
- creating a flourishing community of belonging for students, postdocs, staff, visiting scholars, and faculty from diverse backgrounds;
- creating an environment where we can more readily recognize biases in teaching, mentoring, research, service, and recruitment activities;
- ensuring accessibility for all;
- working to recruit and retain community members from underrepresented groups;
- providing educational opportunities to department members to increase awareness and understanding of the lived experiences and challenges faced by historically excluded and/or marginalized people in ecology and evolutionary biology.*
All are welcome here.
This statement was approved by a unanimous faculty vote on April 10, 2023 and student vote on April 7, 2023. This statement reflects the views of the members of the EEOB Department and is not official Iowa State University policy. Please see Iowa State University’s Principles of Community for the university-wide foundation for cultivating a welcoming and engaging environment.
* On the basis of age, gender, sexual orientation, disability, race, ethnicity, origin, religion, economic, or other status with discrimination occurring both on individual factors and at their intersection.
About the EEOB Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Committee
The EEOB Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Committee (DEIC) is composed of at least each of the following: three faculty members, two staff (one postdoctoral), and one graduate student. The DEIC will promote diversity, equity, and inclusiveness to enhance the scientific and educational objectives of the EEOB Department community. The main goals of the DEIC are to develop innovative strategies to increase and maintain diversity, equity, and inclusion in the department and bring them for consideration and approval of the EEOB faculty; to share diversity and inclusion-related information and educational resources to department members; to promote equitable practices in hiring and promotion; to organize and facilitate diversity-related activities for the department; and to foster an inclusive and welcoming department climate.
The DEI Committee was established in the Department’s Governance Document and approved by the faculty on December 5, 2020.