Graduate Financial Assistance


Graduate students in EEOB receive financial support from a combination of fellowships, research assistantships, a nd teaching assistantships. New applicants may compete for special Graduate College fellowships and research assistantships, which often include additional stipends, scholarship support for tuition, and research funds. All graduate students on assistantships for at least 3 months during each semester are given resident tuition status. For the academic year beginning in fall 2005 Ph.D. students will receive a Graduate College Scholarship for 75% of tuition and this benefit becomes 100% of tuition in fall 2006. For M.S. students the benefit is 50% of tuition. Students may receive higher tuition benefits depending on specific research funds available and additional scholarships.

EEOB students may apply for a scholarship in support of appropriate travel (for research or to scientific meetings and conferences) or other educational opportunities by submitting application materials to: Chair, EEOB Department, Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50011. Applications should include a full curriculum vitae, an explanation of the request and dollar amount (typically $100-$250), and a statement of how this opportunity contributes to short and long-term educational goals. Applications will be considered twice annually, with deadlines of December 1 and April 1.

Other sources of support

The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences

The College of Agriculture

Professional Advancement Grants, Travel Grants, Research Grants (The Graduate College)

PSI Fellowship - the Plant Science Institute Award is awarded to outstanding students with strong interests in plant life or utilization of plant life.

Biotechnology Fellowships - awarded to graduate students with excellent GRE scores and GPA's.

Graduate Minority Assistantships - awarded to under-represented minority graduate students by theGraduate College.

All graduate students are encouraged to seek graduate fellowships from federal agencies such as National Science Foundation, and the Environmental Protection Agency.

Research support is available from most professional societies and sources such as the Sigma Xi, American Museum of Natural History and the American Philosophical Society.

Other information may be found at: ISU's Student Funding Resources.