Dr Jovanovic's main research focus is in the area of Nanotoxicology and Aquatic Ecotoxicology. Primarily he is interested in non-soluble suspended materials of anthropogenic origin - mainly nanoparticles and microplastics and their effects on the environment. He conducts his research in both freshwater and marine environment.
Clusters of interest:
1) Outdoor mesocosm aquatic ecosystem studies with nanoparticles and microplastics;
2) Benthic macroinvertebrates community nanotoxicology (recolonization studies and in situ microcosms)
3) Effects of nanoparticles on fish disease resistance and immunotoxicology.
4) Chironomid midges (Diptera) as bioindicators of nanoparticles/microplastics pollution
5) Fruit fly (Drosophila) nanotoxicology as a relevant model for human exposure to nanoparticles/microplastics